Team Tessier Life

MOM of 2 great kids, Wife of superb husband, Teacher of 3rd grade wolves, balancing it all and loving life!

Thursday, February 7, 2019

How did it come to this?

About 5 years ago my 115# lab and I tried to occupy the same step at the same time. She was fine, I broke my left ankle. Likely, that was the beginning of the tear in my peroneus brevis tendon. Fast forward to now, when walking felt like stepping on razor blades all along the side of my foot. From the time I first sought treatment to yesterday's surgery took about 6 weeks. For about 2 of those weeks, I had seen the MRI results and understood that I would probably need surgery. I could not find much about the surgery or recovery time online, so I decided I'd chronicle my experience for anyone else who may be facing the same type of uncertainty.  

By the time they got in there to really look around (more than what they could see on the MRI) it turned out the brevis tendon was pretty much useless and they would need to remove it and transfer the remains to the peroneus longus tendon next door.
I was scheduled for surgery at 8:30 and was back home at noon or so with instructions to keep "nose above toes" 23 hours a day for the first 2 weeks. I have a "splint", which is really an old school cast except my heel is not encompassed in the plaster. 

Getting used to crutches and needing help is hard. I don't like being dependent on someone to help with everything! Luckily my trusty husband is around and keeping me in line. 

At this point, the nerve block is still completely numbing my leg from the knee down, so there is no pain. I fully expect it to be pretty intense since they sent me home with oxycodone and lots of warnings about using it carefully. 

Netflix or book suggestions are welcome! 


1 comment:

  1. I’m so glad you have Lou to take care of you. He needs to make you some of his yummy cinnamon rolls!!! Some of my favorites on Netflix have been Shameless, Bates Motel, and I’m currently watching Shit$ Creek. If you need anything let me know.

    ReplyDelete