Team Tessier Life

MOM of 2 great kids, Wife of superb husband, Teacher of 3rd grade wolves, balancing it all and loving life!

Saturday, February 9, 2019

The day the nerve block wears off.

First of all, it's "toes above nose", not the other way around as I wrote previously. While it may sound nice to lay around, let me tell you this is more challenging than you might think. As the nerve block wears off it has become easier, simply because whenever I put my foot down it hurts! So far, as long as the foot is elevated the pain is not too bad. I am staying consistent with the pain meds, which has kinda made me sleepy all day. I finally found a position that I can sleep comfortably in our recliner with a bunch of pillows supporting my leg & foot. So that has been my day. In between naps I have been keeping myself entertained with some word search puzzles that a sweet family brought pre-surgery.

At the same time, good ol' Michigan is up to its winter tricks and dumped an ice storm on us. I am so thankful that thus far we have had power. I know many of my colleagues have not had it for 2 days and are not looking at it being restored very soon. To say we are one of the lucky few might be a slight understatement.

Twice today I have inadvertently put weight on my foot. Once on the way back from the bathroom...we have one step I have to conquer each time and this morning I lost my balance & "stepped" on my surgery foot. Now THAT hurt. It has also made me more nervous than I was before about getting around on the crutches and trying to do anything independently. I have started to apply ice to the back of my knee and the surgical site. I'm not sure how much benefit is getting through the cast, but it sure feels good on the back of the knee.

I believe the nerve block has worn completely off now, although I still have some numbness in my smallest toe. My understanding is that may continue as a result of detaching/reattaching and general messing around with nerves. I am pleasantly surprised at the small amount of pain I have when the foot is elevated and equally as surprised at how quickly it starts to hurt when it is not elevated.

Doing my best to follow doc's orders & just relax. Do you ever notice how it doesn't help you relax when people are constantly telling you to do just that? Hmmm.





2 comments:

  1. Just reading your description of the pain made me flinch. OUCH! I hope soon you are pain free . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve had extensive ankle surgery two years ago and he was non weight bearing for nine weeks, so I completely get what you are going through. Two things (out of many) that we learned. First, a shower chair or stool in invaluable. Even if you can put a little weight on your foot eventually, it's so nice to sit instead of try to balance. (And if you can't get it wet, a cast bag- we got his at Amazon for like $10). 2- If at all possible, get a knee scooter so that you have some relief from the crutches. Check if your insurance covers one, or maybe helps with a rental. A lot of the online garage sales also have them. Unfortunately, we sold his. An extra pair of crutches is helpful too- one at the bottom of the stairs and one at the top, and scoot up and down the stairs on your butt.

    Netflix- For some interesting true story/mystery viewing, we loved The Keepers, Wild Wild West, The Staircase and Making a Murderer. For some reality, I love the Great British Baking Show- just an easy chill thing to watch. My all time favorite though, is Call the Midwife. I absolutely love that show.

    Good healing! And patience!

    ReplyDelete