Team Tessier Life

MOM of 2 great kids, Wife of superb husband, Teacher of 3rd grade wolves, balancing it all and loving life!

Tuesday, February 12, 2019

It must have been meant to be

So, here's the thing. Ten years ago there is NO way I would have taken the time off to have this surgery done mid-year. I would have limped along until a more "convenient" time, of course putting my self-care far below that of my students. I'm not bragging- actually far from it. If you asked 10 teachers what the hardest part of being gone is I could almost guarantee that at least 9 of them would say "making lesson plans" UGH.

Throw in that I found out on Friday, Feb. 1 that I would be having surgery on Wednesday the 6th and be out for at least 3 weeks. In a way, the quick timing was good, both because I was in a lot of pain and because I didn't have much time to panic about getting it all together. 
Suddenly all the things were racing through my mind. 

We-have-to-get-a-space-for-me-to-be-downstairs-and-how-am-I-going-to-take-care-of-around-here-when-it-hurts-to-walk-and-I-want-to-clean-all-the-things-and.....

Holy-cow-how-do-I-even-begin-to-think-about-getting-my-class-my-kids-my-plans-my-personal-stuff-from-my-room-and-oh-my-word-does-anyone-know-a-sub-who-won't-quit?

And-now-it's-snowing-so-my-appointments-keep-getting-changed-because-it-is-so-bad-out-there-even-the-doctor's-offices-are-closed.

How-am-I-possibly-going-to-explain-all-the-routines-and-procedures-in-my-room-because-the-kids-need-those-and-how-do-I-gently-let-the-sub-know-about-some-of-those-certain-behaviors-without-scaring-the-sub-away?

But it must have been meant to be. First of all, the quickness of it happened because I finally started taking dr appts during the school day. This is unheard of. Teachers know this. We rearrange EVERYTHING in order to not miss school. We don't have subs (in general). We don't disrupt the teaching and learning. But I did and here we are.

Next, we had a week (!) of snow days. While being stuck at home before the surgery was not in my plan, it did give me more time to try to get organized for school. I bought a "long term sub" binder of TpT and began filling in ALL the things. I could have done it without this, but the outline of it gave me lots of comfort and it was cute :) I feel like I left as much as I could have about procedures, routines, and students in an organized way.

Then, my amazing teammate (Go MICKIE!) found a sub! Honestly, this is the ONLY reason I can sit here day after day and not obsess over what is going on at school. She was able to spend one day with me at school before I left, which really helped in a smooth transition. She is awesome & I can't thank her enough. 

I find that the days pass slowly, too distracted to really focus on any one thing for long. I'm keeping the toes up and have found that as long as I do that, I can avoid the pain meds. I have been taking tylenol around the clock (per doctor) but have not taken the stronger stuff since 2 days post op. I was using it to sleep, but have now found I don't really need that as long as I spend the days still and "upside down". 

So that's what I do. Recline with my foot high in the sky or lay down (which I like less). My husband is doing a great job feeding and tending to me, although I'm sure he wishes I could just get my own drink or phone or pillow or turn letting out/in the dogs or....... (insert 9 million things that one cannot do while walking on crutches)

Today I'm going to find out some info about getting a knee scooter so I can maybe be a little more independent. But for now, I sit.



4 comments:

  1. Yup, I get it. I went nuts just sitting for 2 weeks due to the retina tear. I had a sub and raced to get sub plans, too. But YOU were my safety valve and helped the sub through. Just smile and enjoy using all those sick days you won't get cashed out for in the end :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are doing what you need to do to get better. Nothing is more important than YOUR health!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're wishing you a speedy recovery, Julie. And I have to say, as an out-to-pasture English teacher, your writing is superb!

    ReplyDelete